Style Inspiration: Mon Oncle









Mon Oncle is a 1958 comedy by Jacques Tati. The film focuses on the socially awkward, yet lovable character of Monsieur Hulot and his struggle with postwar France's infatuation with modern architecture, mechanical efficiency and consumerism. It is largely a visual comedy with very little dialogue. The film was a huge success for Tati, winning the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, a special prize at the 1958 Cannes Film Festival and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Foreign Language Film.

I adore this film, and as someone who is just as obsessed about mid century homes as I am about clothes this film is a real treat for the eyes! You should definitely check out Tati's other films in the Monsieur Hulot series, Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, Playtime and Traffic - all hugely entertaining and full of inspiration. A lot of my style inspiration comes from watching old films and tv shows. 

x

Source: 

6 comments

  1. Hi, Sarah!

    This is fascinating! I wasn't aware of this film but I intend to check it out along with other works by Jacques Tati. Ever since I studied the silent films of Charlie Chaplin at university I have had an appreciation of visual comedy that does not rely on dialogue to tell the story. As I am sure you know, You-Tube has many great channels devoted to Atomic Age style, architecture, home decor, family life, dating habits and grooming. They are entertaining and enlightening.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness me, that looks like a real feast for the eyes. Jacques Tati's name is very familiar, I think I've seen Monsieur Hulot's Holiday but nothing else. I'll definitely try to track Mon Uncle down. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He made some great films, definitely track it down if you can x

      Delete
  3. One of my workmates absolutely loves Tati's films, but I had no idea they were so stylish. I should look them up!

    I'm currently drawing far more inspiration than is healthy for a middle-aged lady from Linda Thorson as Tara King...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should! They're super stylish.

      I don't blame you for drawing inspiration from Tara King - she had great outfits!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.