1920s Jazz Age Fashion & Photographs


When I was at the Fashion and Textile Museum back in June, I saw that their next exhibition was all about the jazz age of the 1920s and knew that it would be right up my street. I just love 1920s fashion and have always been really interested in the jazz age so was looking forward to paying a visit. 

The 1920s Jazz Age exhibition presents a glittering display of haute couture and ready-to-wear fashion from 1919 to 1929. Women's clothing in the 1920s reflected dizzying social change on an unprecedented scale. From Paris and London to New York and Hollywood, the decade following the Great War offered the modern woman a completely new style of dressing. With over 150 garments, this exhibition reveals the glamour, excess, frivolity and modernity of the decade. Colourful illustrations by Gordon Conway from the Illustrated London News Archive at Mary Evans and photographs by Abbe, Beaton, Man Ray and Baron de Meye highlight the role of photographs and magazines in promoting the 1920s look.





I went one afternoon last week and was really impressed by the exhibition and the amount of items on display. The museum itself is small so it doesn't always have the space to show a great deal, however with this exhibition they have really made use of all the space available and there is so much to look at. I won't say too much as I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't been yet but hopefully my snaps will give you an idea!

The exhibition runs until 15 January 2017 so there's plenty of time to visit!

x

2 comments

  1. I love deco prints. Just look at the prints on the beachwear in your pics! The 20s is one of my great loves, and I really appreciate the way it influenced 1960s fashions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a collection! There's several dresses I can image you looking incredible in. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.