Goodwood Revival 2016


Now that it's September it must be time for my favourite event of the year, Goodwood Revival. As regular readers will know, I go to this event every year with my family and have done for many years (I worked out the other day that I've been going on and off for the last 15 years and have been consecutively for the last 5). I actually can't believe that it has come around again so soon, I know people say it all the time but this year has really flown by!


The weather for Saturday wasn't looking great and I got a bit obsessive in the lead up to the event and was checking the weather report constantly! In the end I decided that a bit of rain wasn't going to ruin my day and I would just stick a headscarf on like I did last year to avoid any hair mishaps. Well readers, it didn't just rain, it poured and by lunchtime everyone was completely soaked. I took shelter in the morning inside the dance tent where I sat and watched my friends dance and, unbeknownst to me, had my photo taken which ended up on the Mail Online! I woke up on Sunday to several people telling me I was in the press - fame at last ;) , personally I think the caption should have read "this lady wore an elegant navy coat and looked thoroughly pissed off with the weather and completely unaware that she was having her photo taken."


My dad always takes his classic car and as we arrive at about 7.30 in the morning (Goodwood is the only event where I will willingly get up and out early - let me tell you I am not a morning person!), we are parked in the classic car park right by the 'Over the Road' bit so we took shelter from the rain in there at lunchtime and dryed off. It was such a shame and I did feel like I missed out a bit as I wasn't able to wander around the site as much as I would have liked on Saturday. This year Goodwood was celebrating 50 years since England won the world cup and also 70 years of the bikini so there was lots to see and do. The attention to detail always astounds me and this year was no different. They had a mock up tube station complete with pigeons and ticket inspector which did make me laugh.



Outfit Details
Coat, handbag and headscarf - 1960s, Dress - Handmade, Shoes - Clarks

Sunday was a different day altogether, brilliant sunshine all day! I had a great day catching up with friends, taking part in the best dressed parade (where I got a special mention for period accuracy - you can see my photo here) and I even had a couple of people come up to me as they recognised me from the best dressed last year which was really nice. 



My mum always jokes that I never really dress up for Goodwood as I dress like this all the time. It's true though, the peach suit I wore on Sunday I had actually worn to work the week before!

Outfit Details
Suit and loafers - 1960s, Jumper - Zara, Bag - Chanel Classic Flap





I'm sad that it's all over for another year and I'm already looking forward to 2017! Not to wish my life away or anything.....

You can read about previous events here.

x

12 comments

  1. Hi, Sarah!

    You are one of my oldest (longest lasting) blog friends and I do believe that I have been following you off to the Goodwood for the last five years. I went over to the dailymail.co.uk site and checked out all the pictures including those that included you. In my opinion you stood out at the festival as the best dressed and, despite the deluge, not a red hair was out of place. You actually looked like a model hired specifically for the event and planted in the crowd to attract the news media paparazzi. I am happy to know that you enjoyed this year's Goodwood Revival salute to the history of British motorsports (and the bikini) and that the weather turned bright on day two.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Shady you're too kind! The headscarf was hiding a lot of hair sins on Saturday!

      Delete
  2. That is a super suit; you thoroughly deserved to be in the Best Dressed lineup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mim, the best dressed parade is always a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. You deserve a special mention, you always look like you've just stepped straight out of the Sixties. No fancy dress for you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I've just found your blog and am super excited to be following you. I plan to start my own 60s sewing blog as well and will let you know when it's up and running. My favorite era is the late 60s mod. I'm super sad that Catherine from Sewingthe60s hasn't blogged this year and hopefully I can fill a little of that gap, I'm an Aussie as well. I do hope Catherine comes back to us though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just also want to add you look absolutely stunning in your outfits and your makeup looks so authentic as well.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonya! Glad you like the blog, I look forward to reading yours.

      Delete
  6. You are absolutely fab, every detail of your fashion is perfection! I attended Goodwood on Friday (I went for an early 50s/late 40s look), and since I wear 60s all the time as well, it frustrated me just a bit that most people who did 60s went for fancy dress or did nothing to style their hair in the proper fashions of the era (my hairstyle is for the most part permanently in a beehive lol). My poor husband was subjected to my 60s fashion criticisms all day lol. You however, capture and recreate the style so perfectly, I am in complete awe. You are simply splendid, and a brill representation of the era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's so lovely of you to say, thanks so much Nicole! I know what you mean about the fancy dress, I try not to let it bother me too much but it does a bit. My friend and I had a little rant about it as well, lol. Let me know if you go again next year, I'll probably be doing all three days so come say hi if you see me!

      Delete
    2. I would love to meet up. It would be brilliant to know someone else with the same love for 60s fashion/style. :-) I am certainly attending Goodwood next year, most likely all three days! This year I made the mistake of booking too late, so I only got tickets for Friday. :-( I am not making that mistake this year, as I have already requested a notice for when the tickets go on sale, lol.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.