BIBA: The Fashion. The Lifestyle. The Brand


When I heard that there was going to be a Biba exhibition in Southend-on-Sea I was intrigued to say the least. Southend is not somewhere you would automatically think of when you think of fashion exhibitions (I don't mean this in a bad way, just that I was unaware of any such museums), so I was looking forward to going down there to check it out. 


BIBA: The Fashion. The Lifestyle. The Brand explores the iconic brand from its humble beginnings as a postal clothing boutique, to its unprecedented success and expansion into the world of home wares, cosmetics and even food. Biba and everything associated with it became a lifestyle aspiration for nearly all teenagers and young adults during the 1960s and 70s. Displayed across the Beecroft Art Gallery and Central Museum, this exhibition celebrates all things Biba, highlighting the brands reach from fashion to personal health and lifestyle wares. A local and prolific collector of Biba loaned the objects in the exhibition, emphasising the importance and relevance of the brand today. 

We started off at the Beecroft Art Gallery where the focus was very much on the clothes and Biba's beginnings as a postal boutique. I've never seen one of the actual Biba mail order boxes before so that was a highlight.





The second half of the exhibition is over at the Central Museum next door where they focus on Big Biba and the lifestyle brand it created. I totally forgot to take photos at this point as I was so engrossed in it all so you will just have to take my word for it that it was very well thought out and put together! We had the whole place to ourselves which was lovely and very much a novelty as in London you can often be jostling for space at exhibitions (I went to Buckingham Palace this summer to see the exhibition of the Queen's dresses and it was so crowded I felt a bit unwell at one point!).

Afterwards we took a walk down to the seafront and had fish and chips - chips always taste better by the sea!

You can find out more about the exhibition here, it's totally free as well so do check it out if you can!

x

4 comments

  1. Hello! As I told you on Sunday, who'd have thought Southend On Sea would have such a wonderful exhibition? I'm dying over that last dress, those sleeves!!
    Fab to see you and Sam at the weekend. I've been searching eBay for those boots! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was lovely to see you and Jon too. If I spot anyone selling those boots then I'll let you know!

      Delete
  2. Wow, even the boxes are covetable. Sounds like a fab exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boxes are amazing aren't they? It was a great little exhibition.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.