A Boho Bloggers Day Out

Last Saturday I spent the day hanging out with Beyond Retro and a group of other lovely bloggers as part of their bohemian bloggers day out.


The day started off with brunch at The Breakfast Club in Hoxton, a place I'd heard of but had never been to before. I ordered the pancakes with berries and a cup of tea which was so yummy and really filling. I never make pancakes at home and I don't know why, I must remedy this!



We were then picked up by Addison Lee who dropped us off at Beyond Retro's Dalston store where we were able to browse through all the amazing vintage clothes. I was determined to find a 1970s maxi dress but alas the vintage gods were not on my side, I did pick up some fab coral slacks and a cool lace jacket though.

Leigh of Fox and Feather, Eliza of Let's Dust, Sara of Waiste, Naomi of Two Shoes One Pair and Charlotte of The Good Owl

I wore my new orange jacket from Bennetton, it's not a shop I go in but I spied this beauty in the window of a local department store and just had to get it. I teamed it with a handmade crimplene shift dress, 1960s cream shoes and my beloved Louis Vuitton Alma.

After a quick pose for photos we headed over to the Fashion and Textile Museum in Bermondsey to go and see the amazing Thea Porter exhibition which is now in its final week.


Thea Porter (born Dorothea Naomi Noelle Sigel in Jerusalem in 1927) created clothes for the bohemian jet-set in the late 1960s and 1970s, dressing stars such as Pink Floyd, Elizabeth Taylor and Jimi Hendrix (who visited her Soho shop a few day prior to his death to purchase a peacock print chiffon shirt). By all accounts Thea was a bit of a party girl, throwing raucous dinner parties in her Mayfair maisonette where the red wine was free flowing and the late nights turned into early mornings.


Thea thrived in London and was part of a renaissance in British fashion that took inspiration from history, fantasy and other cultures. She shared the Clothing Institute's Designer of the Year award in 1972 with Zandra Rhodes and the following year her work was included in Designs on Fashion, a group showing by ten of the top British Designers, organised by the British Overseas Trade Council. She sadly passed away in 2000 after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1994.

I had a great day and really enjoyed finding out more about Thea Porter. The clothes on display were beautiful - I wanted to take them all home with me! Big thank you to Beyond Retro for inviting me.

x

13 comments

  1. Hi, Sarah! It's great to see you again, dear friend. Thank you for sharing pictures of this groovy get together with your bohemian bloggers group. You always look smashing in bright orange and red and I was pleased to see you in your new jacket and Me Made shift. Thank you for the bio on Thea Porter, a colorful and influential figure in the evolution of British fashion.

    Have a splendid weekend, dear friend Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab bunch you bloggers make! I love your outfit and would never have guessed your mac was by Benetton, it looks like the real thing. That Thea Porter exhibit looked wonderful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix! The detail on the mac is amazing, it really does look like the real thing x

      Delete
  3. You do look Super! Love the pale tights and shoes -- really authentic sixties dressing -- I was there! That photo of all the vintage shoes it great, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all look soooo cool, hip and beautiful. What an awesome blogger meet-up!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh woah I love your Benetton mac; such a fab colour and the shape is wonderful. I really really wanted to see the Thea Porter but sadly missed it- very sad. Looks like you all had a great day though! Lally

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I love the pop of color you provide in that blogger photo--lots of brown fringe and you, bringing the structure and color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah. I'm dropping over from Vix's blog. Lucky you for having met her in person! And lucky you for also having such a group of blogging friends to go out with. Must have been a great time. I too love your orange coat ... love your whole outfit actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for stopping by! Vix is so lovely, it was great hanging out with her at the vintage fair.

      Delete
  8. Oh Thea is so wonderful! Her and Ozzie Clark (and Celia) all have that dreamy ethnic look down so well. What a great day it looks like you had too! The other girls all look so fab too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.