Crimplene Party Dress

Whilst holidaying in the Isle of Wight last year, I purchased some sparkly crimplene fabric from a vintage shop in Ventnor. At first I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, but then inspiration struck and this 1960s party dress with mandarin collar was the result. I even made matching covered buttons!


The pattern I used was Simplicity 7994 from 1968. I only had to make a slight adjustment to the side seams (1/2" on each side) which was good as I can be a lazy seamstress and altering patterns is not something I particularly enjoy - I just like to get straight down to the sewing!





I've said it a million times now, but I just love working with crimplene. It handles beautifully and my machine loves it. I'm really pleased with how this dress turned out and can't wait to wear it on some nights out soon. Sadly I didn't have enough fabric to make matching trousers!


x

Follow on Bloglovin

14 comments

  1. What a gorgeous make :) I love the colour and it looks so sweet on. You've done a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, dear Sarah! What a gorgeous dress this is! Green is my favorite color and I love this lime shade on you and especially the sleek tailoring. I have noticed how often you and others in your sewing circle rave about crimplene. I am clueless about the fabric but, as a man, I know what I like to see on a woman and this is it. U got the look!

    Enjoy the rest of your Tuesday, dear friend Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shady, I hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Crimplene is a fabulous fabric to work with, isn't it? That dress looks wonderful on you, just as groovy as the illustrations on the packet! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dream! Definitely my favourite fabric to work with.

      Delete
  4. very cute! the green matches so well with your hair and tone! I've still not found a substantial piece of crimplene myself yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Cat, I hope you find a substantial piece of crimplene soon.

      Delete
  5. hello,ciao Sarah...great and nice photos....this dress is great on You,the color is so charming and it make shining Your stunning Silhoutte...great job...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great dress - I love it !! I really lovely color ... I love it too, to work with crimplene :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stylish make! I LOVE this pattern, I think my mum may have this or one very similar, it looks familiar. And those covered buttons - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that pattern bu I've never made it up! It looks great. I have some crimplene waiting to be made into something - do you just use a normal straight stitch when you work with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Yeah you just use a normal straight stitch, I look forward to seeing what you make.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.