Hairstyles of the 1960s: The Bob


I love a good bob and there were some excellent examples of bobbed hair in the 1960s. Some of my favourite 60s models, actresses and singers all sported the style. The bob has been around since the beginning of the 20th Century and many women have turned to the hairstyle when looking for a dramatic change in appearance or to signify a change in themselves.

In the 1960s the bob symbolised a further phase in female emancipation as young women began to distance themselves from the austere past of their parents and look to the future.



Vidal Sassoon revolutionised the world of hairdressing with his five point cut in 1963 and women the world over rushed to get their hair cropped. The 60s bob was very angular and unfussy and this made it easier for women to style at home. No more weekly trips to the hairdresser to get it set!



I just think a bob looks so cool - take a look at these gorgeous models all sporting a classic bob hairstyle in 1964.


My personal hair hero has to be mod girl favourite, Cathy McGowan. Not only did she wear the coolest clothes but she had a pretty amazing bob too. Here she is on the set of Ready, Steady, Go with Paul McCartney.


The bob continues to be a popular hairstyle today, the most famous bob wearer of recent years has to be Anna Wintour, American Vogue's editor-in-chief.

So how about you, are you a fan of the bob? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

x

source - v is for vintage

7 comments

  1. Hi, Sarah! I fancied the bob hairstyle then and still do now. Another famous Brit girl who helped popularize bobbed hair was singer Billie Davis whose recordings will be the subject of a 4 part series on my blog.

    Have a wonderful weekend, dear friend Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading about her Shady, have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. This hairstyle is so nice, like it!
    Fabrizia – Cosa Mi Metto???

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course your own bob is something to be admired too! I love the way they sit and look and how the neck looks much longer. My own hair is too thin to have a really good bob - but with enough product in there is avoid the mullet-y look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love bobs. They look so stylish and chic. I've been wanting one for years but I'm just too nervous to go that short!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very pleased I found your blog because I love 60s fashion and never see enough of it around. I had a bob a few years ago, loved the style and only grew it out because the maintenance and daily straightening was taking its toll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. now my hair is getting longer, i've always wanted it to be super straight. but after seeing the pics, think i'm gonna have a change of heart. waves always look very natural. hairstyles for medium hair

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.