The 60s Breton

One of the things I love most about 60s fashion is that it still looks relevant and cool today (in my humble opinion). If wearing a full on crimplene suit isn't your thing,  something as simple as a breton top and a-line skirt can give you a casual 60s look. Stars such as Audrey Hepburn, Francoise Hardy and Brigitte Bardot were all fans of a stripe in the 60s. 



The breton stripe was introduced to the French navy in 1858 but it owes its fashion origins to Coco Chanel. Whilst holidaying in the French Riviera the navy and white striped tops worn by the French sailors caught her eye, so much so that she included stripes in her 1917 nautical collection. In the 50s and 60s the breton top became hugely popular and it is considered something of a style classic today.

via

My outfit here was handmade, the top is another Coco and the skirt was made from a 1960s Simplicity pattern, but both items can easily be found on the high street or in charity shops (Petite Bateau, Boden and M&S all stock nice ones). This picture was taken at the end of a lovely weekend that mainly involved me trying to avoid the football (I'm not a fan) - it's going to be a long summer!

x

7 comments

  1. Hi, Sarah! Thank you for the lesson about Coco and the Breton stripe. That picture of you blends right in with the ones of the other models and what a glorious candid moment it is! Your lithe figger is ideal for outfits with horizontal stripes. You look smashing! Have a wonderful week, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look utterly wonderful in your Breton top. I've never had one but could be persuaded with these images!" x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look just gorgeous. The breton top suits you so well! I'm always on the look out for the perfect one. One thing I love about 1960's fashion is that it looks great in full force as well as just casually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do love wearing a breton top! Yes 60s fashion is great isn't it, you can keep things simple and casual and still look great.

      Delete
  4. ooh you lover-ly! i have so many striped tops and dresses now that they have their own pile in the cupboard because i didnt want to have to pull out the other things to get to what i know i really want to wear - stripes! and they look fantastic with and pants i think. i just wish i could find some stripy double knit to sew with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll, I have lots of striped tops and dresses too - they are definitely one of my favourite things to wear! Stripy double knit is hard to find, I got mine online from Fabric Godmother but I haven't been able to find a blue and white stripe. I went round all the good fabric shops in Soho and there was nothing!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.