Monday, 20 January 2014

The Mystery of JH Lynch

Little is known about JH Lynch, the artist whose exotic prints such as 'Tina' and 'Nymph' were sold in their thousands during the sixties. Joseph Henry Lynch was born on 28 October 1911 and died in 1989 at the age of 78 (having destroyed many of his original paintings). His prints were extremely popular during the 60s and 70s, and were sold in Boots and Woolworth's here in the UK where they soon became a household staple (my dad remembers his Nan having the prints in her home).

Tina
via

Nymph
via


Tina was the first to go on sale in 1963 and is probably the most recognisable of all of JH Lynch's prints (fun fact: Tina graced the cover of Edwyn Collin's 1994 hit single "A Girl Like You").

Woodland Goddess
via

Autumn Leaves
via

Rose
via

 
No retro home would be complete without a JH Lynch picture on the wall. They are becoming harder to come across now, but a quick search on ebay will usually bring up a few results and they can often be found at vintage fairs (although not always in great condition).

As you may have seen from some of my outfit posts, I have the Autumn Leaves print which bears a remarkable resemblance to Jean Shrimpton. My absolute favourite Lynch print is that of the Nymph. Sadly I've yet to find one in great condition so if anyone has one for sale or knows where I can get one do let me know!

x

Source: http://www.jhlynch.org

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting post, Sarah! I have only a vague recollection of this series and therefore I thank you for the lesson and for presenting a few examples. The Nymph is my favorite print as well. Many men consider exotic, dark skinned, muscular, amazonian women like these attractive and they are the subject of legend and lore but, aesthetically, they are not my cup of tea.

    I hope your week is off to a great start, dear friend Sarah. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted one of these pictures but they are so popular now its kind of impossible. Such sultry ladies! I noticed while reading Big Biga that they used to be sold in the home wears section there! (there is a small picture of a picture gallery and one is sitting on the floor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the prices you see people trying to sell them for now is ridiculous. I didn't know that they were sold in Biba - good spot! The one that I have came from Boots originally.

      Delete
  3. I've never been lucky enough to come across one of these. You are lucky to have the Autumn Leaves print. She does look a lot like Jean Shrimpton, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I read and appreciate every one! Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.