Thursday, 9 January 2014

Collars, Cuffs and Tartan

I used my favourite 60s Style pattern for this dress (2132) and drafted the pattern for the collar and cuffs myself. The main inspiration behind it was some lovely tartan dresses I'd seen whilst browsing Etsy and also the 90s film Clueless - there is some great plaid going on in that film.

via
The dress itself went together quite quickly although I did have problems with the sleeves (I hate sewing sleeves). The pattern I used is a junior one and whilst it's fine fit wise when I make it without sleeves, when I added the sleeves it became a little tight around the armpits. Not fun! Luckily I managed to sort it out and it is perfectly comfortable to wear now.

I often use junior patterns when sewing as I have petite measurements. I'm actually quite tall though so I often run into problems in the arm area. Normally I remember to lower the armhole before cutting out the pattern but in this instance I forgot and didn't remember until after I'd started sewing!









I absolutely love this dress and can see myself getting a lot of wear out of it. For some reason the collar appears slightly wonky in the pictures. I can assure you that it doesn't look like that in real life, I think it might have been the way I was standing, or maybe the fact that I'd only been awake about an hour when these pictures were taken and in my sleepy state hadn't adjusted the collar!

x

Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous and really suits you. I love your choice of fabric (I love plaid and Clueless too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely! I too am currently having a love affair with plaid, its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a classic, immensely lovely plaid dress. It really makes me think of something one of the gals could easily have sported in the more recent seasons of Mad Men. You look elegantly, immensely pretty, honey!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dress is awesome and the colour combination perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow! this is so gorgeous! you've done a really good job on the collar and the cuffs. they're so easy to draft up yourself. i often have to remember to broaden the shoulders on some patterns, but so far the patterns i've been using have been ok without any adjustments.

    i hope this dress lasts a long time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sarah this is such a nice dress! Good on you! It looks so sweet on you and I adore the collar and cuffs. Now feeling that I need more plaid in more wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose"
    - James Taylor song, "Sweet Baby James"

    As this smart dress reveals, you are anything but Clueless, dear Sarah. This is a marvelous creation. I love the green and blue that went into the plaid pattern and you look quite comfortable wearing it. Thank you for displaying your dressmaking talents for us, dear friend, and enjoy the rest of your English weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,Ciao Sarah...Great Style,Fabolous plaid dress,the collar & cuff are very charming...You're an Artist of Style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haa Clueless... Its my childhood hehe :)

    This great is Amazing on you, and your blog is terrible. I love it !
    Glad I found it.
    Xoxo,
    Lorna

    Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I read and appreciate every one! Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.