Winter Fashion - 60s Style

Despite not liking the cold very much, autumn/winter fashion is a favourite of mine so I thought we would take a look at winter fashion throughout the 1960s today. 

OUTERWEAR

A warm coat is essential (especially here in England), coat styles varied for women in the 60s, the pea coat, empire style, maxi and coats with fur collars were all popular. Women would often team mini skirts with a maxi coat to keep their legs warm.



 I just love this 1963 orange wool winter coat with black fur collar by Enzo - so chic!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/158400111867530948/

Or how about this lovely navy number with fur collar and cuffs?


For me personally, you can't beat a coat with a fur collar. I have a lovely 60s trapeze coat which I dig out for special occasions and I just love this emerald green early 60s coat currently for sale on etsy.



LONG SLEEVED DRESSES

To keep the chill at bay, a long sleeved dress is essential, just check out the 60s girls below rocking their long sleeved shifts.




HOSIERY

Now I couldn't do a post on 60s fashion without mentioning tights. As hem lines got shorter throughout the decade, stockings became increasingly out of favour and tights were the in thing.


Winter white tights are a bit of a mod girl staple, I get plain ones from primark and cable design ones from Gipsy.


KNITWEAR

The early mod girls would wear roll neck jumpers teamed with a-line skirts and flat shoes. This look is a particular favourite of mine in winter.



I might not be looking forward to the cold (I'm already cold and it isn't even winter yet), but I am looking forward to getting out the winter clothes!

x

7 comments

  1. Hi, Sarah! Thank you very much for flashing me back to the winter wear of the 60s. I remember all these looks - the maxi coats, fur collars, navy blue and emerald green, the long sleeve shifts, the minis and tights. I must say that I am absolutely delighted to know that you and so many other young women around the globe are not only studying and admiring the styles of the 60s, but adding them to your wardrobe and proudly wearing them as you go about your daily lives. It's such a treat for someone like me who misses those years so much.

    Good night to you, Sarah. Have a nice Friday and a safe and happy weekend, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shady, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. So much to admire here! I adore the orange coat especially! Have a happy (and warm) weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh i love this post! so practical and very informative. I really love coats! they're one of my favorite things to wear, but i only get to wear them for a few months sadly. i must learn how to make them also.
    The jumper paired with skirt and tights is my favorite look for winter work wear. Add a nice pair of patent block heels and you really cant go wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely. I want to have a go at making a coat, I've got a great pattern but it's just getting round to finding the fabric and making it. Maybe I'll have it done by next winter! ;)

      Delete
  4. lovely post ....loved the collection of coats for women !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the green coat. what a fabulous piece!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.