Style Muse: Françoise Hardy







Françoise Hardy was a popular yé-yé singer in the 1960s, her first hit being Tous les garçons et les filles in 1962. Françoise was, and still is, painfully shy. When asked in 2011 how she felt about being an icon her response was, "I am not comfortable with my professional life really, so the word 'icon'- it's as though you were talking about someone else, it's not me really...I feel happy when I'm on my bed, in my room with a good book.".

Although she might not be comfortable with it, for me she most definitely is a style icon!





x

8 comments

  1. Hi, Sarah! I'm having fun learning about the early 60s Yé-yé movement and the young women who became popular Yé-yé singers and style icons such as Françoise Hardy. I see that Françoise was influenced by American pop singers Paul Anka, the Everlys and Connie Francis. I think her extreme shyness made her an ideal Yé-yé girl because they typically sang innocent songs and exhibited a naive, wholesome sexiness. Notice how she performs with her hands behind her back in the second video. Françoise also dressed in tasteful attire as you showed us here.

    Thank you for another great post, dear friend Sarah, and enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was a style icon, you can see who Alexa Chung's based her hairstyle on, can't you? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes definitely, a lot of Alexa's 'look' appears to be based on Francoise if these pictures are anything to go by x

      Delete
  3. Yes Alexa keeps coming back to Françoise and Jane Birkin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love her! Wish I could pull off such a fringe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aah she so pretty! You helped me pick my outfit for work today, as inspired by Francoise. Shes very much a perfect French chic.

    Did you ever see Moonrise kingdom? they dance to 'Le temps de l'amour'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I saw Moonrise Kingdom a few months ago - it is such a lovely film! Glad to know your outfit was inspired by Francoise, she's so chic.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one. Please do not comment anonymously - use the Name/URL option instead.

Spam comments will be deleted.